Poppersnappers

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matt Gitchell asks about Howard Levy's post-Flecktones career.

Check out a couple of CD's by bluegrass/western swing/jazz
mandolinist Paul Glasse. Also, the Sultan's picnic by Rabih Abou
Khalil, and Trio Globo (all are most likely found in the jazz
section, but also possibly in folk/world/new age). He was also on
Kenny Loggins' last couple of records (Live from the Redwoods and
The house at Pooh Corner), and Dolly Parton's Straight Talk,
along with a recent Subdudes album and a bunch more stuff I don't
remember at the moment.

Howard was just signed to his own record deal by Blue Note, a
major jazz label, so we should be seeing some interesting new
developments from him.

About players getting discouraged by John Popper's high velocity
playing - the sheet music for the Blues Traveler album "FOUR"
will include complete harmonica transcriptions, with arrow&number
tablature, so players will at least be able to know exactly WHAT
Popper is doing, even if they won't be able to immediately play
it at speed. By the way, while John does tend to over-use a couple
of particular licks in the lower part of the harp, his
upper-range playing has much more variety. It just goes by so
fast you don't get the chance to really hear it. I actually prefer
listening to his solos at half-speed.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica Information Press
Z Whizzin' by