Re: humor needed

g/mail/postponed-mail/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII

On Wed, 31 May 1995, Thomas Hinkle wrote:

> Maybe you guys are just too old to have a sense of humor  :-)
>
> p.s. at the risk of being hypocritical, I hope nobody takes this
> personally or is offended.

A sense of humor is valuable at any age, but like many things, it can
mature over the years.  For instance, I possess the "elderly wisdom" to
recognize the p.s. is unnecessary as redundant, since I understand the
emoticon (smiley) to indicate the nonserious intent of the statement.

Furthermore, extended experience that accompanies my advanced age seems
to help me realize humor when others seem to misinterpret it to be mean
in spirit, who then overreact and cause a stir where none should be.

One hope I have for the Internet and all its possibilities is the regener-
ation of logical, succinct, thoughtful, and yes, witty, written discourse,
where a real effort is made to be clear and understood as intended.  While
we can, I hope we use these computer message-sending tools to retrain our-
selves in the communication skills we started to learn in our early years.
Stilted wording isn't necessary; I employ slang and such for emphasis as
much as anyone else.  But I try not to lose sight of the limits of this
unique medium and keep a dictionary handy as my harmonicas.  Can't hurt...

Back to age, innovators can also be any age.  The only generation that
counts is the present one, and I see it as one we're all in together, old
or young.  And remember, Tom, one day you too will probably be an "old
harp player," and most likely damn proud of it!

Till next,
....Bobbie                                            *Harp Spoken Here*