Playing Straight through the PA

After many years of playing bullet/amp and occaisionally playing through the
PA I have been playing straight to the PA with a Shure58 nothing inbetween. I
EQ it from the board add a little verb and thats it. I found to many probs
miking the amp and since seeing audience responding better since they hear my
somewhat melodic style clearer I want to improve upon this. Does anyone have
thoughts on proccessors etc. that could give max clarity and a little thicker
tone? any better mics appropriate for straight to the PA?    Thanks all !

Take it ez now,
Garry