Re: how to learn to play harp

Having wasted years on dead-end methods for learning to play harmonica (and
guitar too for that matter) I think I appreciate what this request is really
about.  I've thought about this question a number of times.  If I had it to
do again, how would I learn so that I got the most out of my time.  Here's my
advice:

1) Select one and only one instructional book AND TAPE and work
systematically on it until you completly master it.  One I recommend is put
out by Horner and is sold in a starter harmonica/tape set.  The harmonica is
their Pocket Pal.  The tape is by Scott McCloskey called "Harpin It Easy" and
I think he does an excellent job of laying down the basics of first and
second position and provides a beginner with a great foundation for moving
ahead into varioius styles of playing.

2) As everyone always says, practice is key.  But organize your practice.
 Practice regularly.  It is better to practice frequently for short periods
that do irregular marithon sessions.  Put yourself on a practice schendule.
 Pick and time and place where you won't be interupted.  Go through your
instruction material in order.  Don't skip around.  I also recommend always
practicing with a rhythm such as a metronome.  It pays to get your timing
down early.

3) Don't ever give up.

Good Luck,

Jim C