Little Sonny

>>> beruv001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  1/26/95, 01:11pm >>>
>Just thought I'd recommend something I've been listening to
>recently--"Hard Goin' Up" (Stax, 1973) by Little Sonny (Aaron
>Willis). Little Sonny's doesn't have great technique...

While I'm in no position to critique Little Sonny's technique, he
does have a 1991 release entitled "Sonny Side Up", on the Glynn
label.

>Does anyone know if Little Sonny is still alive/performing? Blues
>Who's Who (1993 ed) suggests he's now about 63 years old.

He is still alive and can be reached at Glynn Record Co., 18648
Fleming, Detroit MI  48234 (313) 891-6081.  "Sonny Side Up" is pretty
decent, even all the Little Walter devotees may like it.

>Have also been listening to Dr. Ross. Now this cat could blow and
>play everything in sight! I can't help but wonder what one-man bands
>like him and Joe Louis Hill...

Actually the name is Joe Hill Louis.

>...could have done if they'd had access to the kind of technology
>available to someone like Prince....

The unadorned sounds these artists produced are rather enjoyable to
listen to and easy to appreciate without all the techno-hype of the
modern age.