Re: Lead Guitar Players (Again)

>From: rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>My motto has always been "when in doubt whip it out" so what I like to do

Usually I get real shy and just sit and watch but one day I took this motto
to heart and did it work! (but I marked my corners with 4 guitarists!)

There was a monthly blues jam at a Wheaton, MD guitar store and my guitarist
(believe it or not!) encouraged me to drive there to sit in.  I didn't have
my harp (shame on me) but the owner said he'd open his store to sell me a harp
to sit in (he only had a D but what the hey).  I was the only female there
amongst a room of about 50 male guitarists that night and I didn't know anyone
except the guy who owned the shop.  Shy as I am I hung towards the back and
watched the jam for about an hour.  No harp players in sight.  I wasn't
impressed by most of the wanabees.  It got REAL loud.  People started hanging
outside to restore their hearing.   Though I'm no great harper, When the next
song ended I got on stage and told them just to jam an upbeat 1/4/5 in A and
I'd take it from there.  It was so cool--the guitarists (all 4!) actually let
me take over the whole song.  I did trades with one guitarist and even the
bass player.  People started coming back in!  That was the only song all night
that got a standing ovation :-)  After the song I started walking off stage
and they made me do another 1/2 hour plus sing some lead.

I tell ya, I don't know how I had the courage to just get up there like
that (musta been temporary insanity!) but I'm glad I did it.

				Carolyn