Re: mic&amp

>This is absolutely true.  If your acoustic tone stinks, you can't improve
>it by buying all the boxes and amps in the world.  If your tone is
>excellent, you'll sound great through anything - even playing with no
>hands in a bare rack.

This says it all. I have come to this conclusion myself. Only having two
solid years in as a harp player, I was at my mentor's place this week. He
has been playing for over 30 years and I was wondering about his killer
tone. We sat down and he walked me through it and I got it ! I was not
opening up my throat and lungs enough. First of all this guy is a tongue
blocker. The tongue block combined with a diaphragm vibrato makes all the
difference IMHO. I started drawing the notes from the diaphragm instead of
the mouth and throat and I can really hear the difference. And in this
business, if you have no tone you are dead in the water !
I have an old ASTATIC (don't know the number but it had a metal handle built
in) and I could get decent tone from it, but my mentor friend got a much
better tone. I have seen the light !  I am a born again harp player ! All I
have to do now is really practice using the diaphragm technique and get this
down.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone...

                          Christian Laferriere
                           Gatineau, Quebec
                          Icepick@xxxxxxxx