Re: mic&amp

> >I bought the large size microphone wind shield at Radio
> >Shack. The purist on the list blasted me telling me that it
> >kills the fine tone. Well, if you want fine pure tone you are
> >not using the Astatic and a tube amp. The pros turn down
> >the Tone setting to 0 or 1. You want zero treble and all
> >bass. Use the wind screen (it barely fits over the mic).
> >You'll get a couple of notches more amplitude. I use a long
> >cord and never get in front of or directly behind the Amp.
>  Don't sell yourself short. There is a world champion harmonica player in
> Toronto by the name of Carlos Del Junco and he uses a Radio Shack mic with
> analog tape echo and a fender bassman as his gig setup. This guy can blow
> the doors off most pro's I have heard. I am told that Carlos thinks that
> that mic has a real nice sound.
> So there you go all you purists out there...|

Little Walter used many microphones - crystal, controlled magnetic,
dynamic, and I'm sure anything lse he could get his hands on.

Ever hear Walter with a poor tone?

The equipment is part of it, but the player is the biggest determinant in
sound.  A bad player with a vintage bassman and vintage JT-30 will still
sound like a bad player.  A good player will sound good regardless of
what he's playing through.  I know one fellow who actually plays through
a cheap Radio Shack bull horn - and it sounds good!  But he sounds good
through anything!

Everyone has PERSONAL preferences.  I like my Green Bullet cartridge
pickup.  But I also use a JT-30.  I just did a movie sound track session,
and the producer went with a condenser mic about an inch from my hands,
right where I was opening them.  And I agreed with him - for what we were
doing, the clean, crisp harp sound with sharply defined cupping effects was
very effective on the tune.

-- mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx