Re: Good Feedback.

> >   With all this talk about avoiding feedback, has anyone tried to use
> > feedback productively.  I mean, guitarists in rock and roll will get a
> > nice smooth feedback from their Marshall amps that sounds great.  I can
> > sometimes get this but it is totally under control.  And more often than
> > not, the feedback is a piercing, sharp whistle rather than a smooth
> > progressive sound.  (Check the ending to "I, Alone" by Live to get a
> > perfect example of long, drawn out guitar feedback.)
>
> With guitar feedback, the sound is more or less controlled by the
> strings.  You can get a somewhat musical quality.
>
> With harp, it's mostly controlled by leakage, not reeds.
>
> Too bad... if there were some way to control the pitch of the feedback,
> it might be something to experiment with.

Well, here I am replying to my own post ;-)

After I finished at Rockfield (I play a "single" from 7 to 9:30, and then
play one of the bands breaks around 10:30), I went next door and sat in
with the band there.  I just plugged my JT-30 into their PA.  In the
middle of a particularly loud tune, I flashed on the "feedback"
discussion, and covered the face of the JT-30.  When I put it in front of
the woofer, it did make a musical tone that I was able to control by
slightly altering hand position.  As I was in the middle of a smoking harp
solo, it went over quite well.  (I do crazy things when performing live,
like lay on the floor, etc.  After all, this is the "entertainment" biz
:-)

I don't think I can use it when playing solo, but it looks like it has a
lot of promise with bands.

 -- mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx