Re: OCTAVE DIVIDER

At 11:43 AM 1/13/95 -0400, Jack Ely wrote:
>    Re: OCTAVE DIVIDER
>
>    Is an Octave Divider monophonic or polyphonic? What happens if you play
>    more than one note through it at a time. (I.e., octaves, thirds, fifths,
>    sixths?) Dose it crap out, Handle all notes, or interpret the more
>    dominant sound?
>
>         Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Harmonisers, pitch shifters and octave dividers are three related but
distinct animals getting progressively less intelligent and further down
the food chain. The newer digital pitch shifters do a wonderful job. And
since they are digital, they treat sound as a number which is to be
multiplied and therefore don't have to lock on to a signal. You get out
what you put in so the only time they crap out is when crap is put in. They
are multi-phonic but that varies from unit to unit. Digitech makes a "true"
harmonizer capable of 5 or 6 part harmony. It does a great job with voice
and the newer ones can fool even the most discriminating ears.

Rkt