Re: RE: Jack's "Stradivarius"...

Jack,

I can give you a comparison because I own both models.

Realize that a harmonica is a very personal thing.  I can only pass along my
personal opinion of both harmonicas.

The Amadeus is a very nice sounding chromatic.  The tone has  almost as nice
a tone as the Silver Concerto.  I was dispointed in the Amadeus for these
reasons.  Even though the harmonica has a nice tone quality, and provides a
nice loud response with the right breath pressure, the valves tend to stick
after you have played it for a while.
The slide is not as fast the the Silver Concerto.  I think the Concerto has a
better and faster slide because the parts have been milled on a machine.
 Because of this, there is less space between the slide part and the
mouthpiece.  There is virtually no air leakage out of the Silver Concerto.
 The Amadeus is also an air tight instrument.  Be sure that the slide is kept
very clean, or there will be a slow response on the slide.  The back sides of
the comb had to be filed down so they would not cut into the hands, when I
hold the.  The reeds are very responsive to breath pressure for throat
vibrato and changes in tone coloration.

In my personal opinion, the Silver Concerto is the best sounding concert
harmonica I have even owned. I think the reason is that Silver  provides the
best tone quality in a harmonica.  The entire instrument is made of sterling
silver  except for the mouthpiece and the reed plates.  The reeds are of a
better quality (Brillantine copper) than in other chromatic models.  The
reeds are very tough, and they take a bit more breath pressure to get a
response.  Through a combination of shape of the mouth, breath control,
hands, etc, the instrument has a great beauty of tone. The more I play the
Silver Concerto, the more I like it for my concerts with my Hyland Ensemble
(chromatic harmonica, classical guitar, and cello).  Since I am not a power
breath player, none of the reeds have gone out of tune ( I have used the same
reed plates for three years). The reeds plates are expensive ($190.00 per
set).  I have resolved the problem of sticking valves, by letting the
instrument dry out outside the case (don't store the harmonica in the case to
let it dry out).  As a matter of fact, always let any harmonica dry out
ousdie the case.  The will prevent sticking valves.

The other instrument I like best for playing music that requires octave
playing, and playing notes below middle C, is the Hering 64 model.  I use
this model to play Scott Joplin music.  The rest of the music, I play with
the Silver Concerto.  If anyone desires to buy the Silver Concerto (it is a
special order item), check with Richard Farrell for the special purchase
price.

Richard Martin