Re: Whistles

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995 bhollan@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Jim at koryta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> Elderly Instruments has a good selection in their "Acoustic" catalog, including
> some whistles made of PVC pipe with plumbing code on it. Prices start at less
> than five bucks. Call them at (517) 372-7890.

First off, Sorry to the rest of you. This is going off subject I know. I
shall not post any more about this to the list. But interested ones may
email me by all means. I believe all the imoprtant facts (other than a
list of suppliers) has been covered now anyway.

We *are* a self policing little gang here, aren't we? :-)

	I have not seen this plastic one. There is know reason why ABS
tubing canno't be made into a decent sounding whistle. I have a Moore ABS
flute, it's in perfect concert pitch.

There is a white plastic Whistle with a black top, the Stephan Hannigan
uses. It's VERY heavy, a surprise when you pick it up. It has a nice tone.

A word of warning on the plumbing pipe one (from one who never saw one).
Be sure it is in tune with its self. Most of the plastic instuments I
have seen try to make themselves LOOK like musical instruments.

Sure they are made of plumbing pipe, They just don't let the codes show.
This can suggest that they have taken some care over the tuning of them
as well. Like I said, the Generation and Flaglot are *slightly* flat
half way up the instrument, and they are made of metal.

And if it matters, I prefer Clarks (the black and gold ones). They are
tapered which I find easier when rolling notes, (slurring between them).

I could point out that (Ralph?) Sweetheart makes a wooden one in hard
wood  and one in soft wood (they need breaking in so they don't split
with moisture) He is an American living in the USA. I have one of his.
(they cost about 60 UK pounds) But they are not that well finished off.
Especially for the money. Some of them cannot even be made to go to the
upper reaches of the second octave, (But mine does) Ask to try it out,
or take it back if its not right. Be sure the same number is on the back
of *both* parts of a Sweetheart.

One can get really lovely wooden ones, made by hand for over two hundred
UK pounds! Stephan Hanigan and Johnathan Swaney (sp?)of Blowzabella Band
fame are two makers I know of. I cann't justify one, but I played a
Swayney (sp?) and it is just BEAUTIFUL, and so light, and easy to play,
not at all like a Sweetheart, which is a bit clumpy. (Thick walled tube
bore)

This type of instrument by the way (a flagleot) was the ONLY type on
flute in Hayden's day. An end blown one rather than a transverse blown
one. See? Its a real instrument, And to most folks ears a more musical
and pleasing tone than the recorder.

Gordon

	  ****This computer works perfectly until accessed.****

  -----"Its no good talking to me, its just the same as talking to you."------