Re: Top Ten Harp List

Hi everyone,
		I could not let this one pass.
(Nit pickin' time again) :-)

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Rod Thomas/Sandra Teare wrote:

> ...and now ladies and gentlemen, in the style of David Letterman's fabled
> Top Ten List...The Top Ten Features Unique To the Harmonica...

	[...]

> #6.    the only musical instrument that fits in your pocket, (possibly
> confusing your sweetheart.)

	Oh Really, What happened to the Jews (jaws) harp, and more
musical still, (well it wouldn't take much to beat a jaws harp) The
Eagle tin whistle. It is designed in two sections. It splits in the
middle into two tubes. Advertised to fit in the pocket!

Me thinks blues harpers have tunnel vision when it comes to other instruments
and musical styles. :-)

> #4.   the only real musical instrument still available for under $10.
> (American Ace, Hot Metal, and Great Little
>          Harp, all under $5.50 from Kevin's)

	"Real" Instrument? Well (maybe) that lets the jaws harp out, but
not the tin whistle. Sorry to all the Jaws harp players, its just your
turn, thats all. Hehehehe.

Any of you blues purists that doubt this should dig out some recordings
of (say) Irish folk music for a start. The whistle in the hands of an
expert, is capable of true musical virtusoity.

Also, the much underated whistle is FULLY chromatic. And its only a tube
with six finger holes and a fipple! Its capable of great expression, and
modulation (in this case I mean vibrato type stuff,) but key changes during
playing (true modulation) are common too.

It can sound sad, melancholy, wistful, or bright and lilting for dance
tunes. To being used in fairly driving rock, jazz, classical and blues,
(Listen to Davy Spilane, and the Cambridge Buskers.)

This without having to learn fancy overblow and bending techniques. What
is more, unlike the harp, what techniques one does have to learn to play
the whistle are instantly useable on a whistle in any other key. None of
this, "ah well, to bend the same note on a different key of harp needs a
different technique rubbish. :-)

Do you give in yet? :-) :-) :-D

> #3.   the only musical instrument that will sound a perfect cord if
>you  hold it out the window of a moving vehicle. >

	Bagpipes make very er... unusual sounds if you throw them fully
inflated, out of a window and under a passing wagon. :)

Don't know about a perfect chord though!

> and finally, the #1 Feature Unique to the Harmonica.....
>  #1.  It's the all time best musical instrument for imitating trains!

	Hmmmm.. Yep, its pretty good, I give you that. You can make
right GRAND train whistle sounds with a lower key whistle though, (not
surprising really.) :-)

Now ladies and gentlemen, I urge you all to rush out and buy yourself a
Tin Whistle. They are nice and cheap, and will let you play in lots of
modes, and if you get enough practice, in virtally *every* key. Oh, and
I prefer Clarks Whistles, (Key C and D only)  much more breathy and
atmospheric. The (newish) Key D is nice to hold. Or one of the
Generation type, for a brighter sound, but I find they are a little out
of tune with themselves halfway up.

Or buy an EXPENSIVE (well reletive to the cost of the others) Dave Shaw.

Any one out there want to carry this thread on? Its a nice refreshing
change from the "who do you think is the coolest blues harper?" one.

Gordon (with the devil in him again) Jackson.

	  ****This computer works perfectly until accessed.****

  -----"Its no good talking to me, its just the same as talking to you."------
							Bob Dylan.