Canadian Howard Levy

This morning the Canadian Broadcasting Corp broadcast a story on their
Sunday Morning show about a Canadian who got an arts grant to study jazz
harp with Howard Levy.  This guy had won at a 1993 German competition,
Best Blues and Jazz Harp Player in the World--and this guy was goooood!

More importantly, he demonstrated overblows and showed how Levy had made
them usable that made it possible to get that many more notes
out of a harp.  Now, I've been blowing harp about 30 years, and I've
overblown harps all that time, but with no control, and with no idea that
it's possible on all the unbending reeds (if I understood correctly), and
really with no idea that it was a usable sound (it isn't in my hands).
Did anyone catch this show?  Let's credit the Canadian harp player whose
name I promptly forgot.

I had asked on this list how it was possible to play blues in all twelve
keys on one harp, and never got an answer, but this Canadian did a whole
demonstration.  In fact, he was not very articulate in some ways.  I
doubt non-harp players understood very much that he had to say, or heard
the differences when he was demonstrating different styles, but he
demonstrated overblows very clearly and did some scales to show how it
was done.  I'm blown away by that.  I doubt I'll be able to master it,
but I'm already working on it.

With a wink to Mike Curtis, I'll have to wait until my next pay period
before I can get a valved Suzuki to learn how to use bendable blows and
all that stuff, but I can work on overblows now with my regular harps.
		_____
	 Steve =#####= Harmonica-in-progress Price!
  > Take your hand out of my pocket, I ain't got nothin' belong to you--
			SBW II