Re: VARIOUS AND MISCELLANEOUS

At 9:58 AM 2/17/95, BassHarper@xxxxxxx wrote:

>STEVIE WONDER - Plays primarily 64 Chromatic, though he has been known to
>blow a diatonic at times.  Stevie's harps, based on the Hohner 64, are NOT
>off-the-shelf, but custom made for him by none other than Frank Huang,
>brother of Cham-Ber Huang.  Frank has made Stevie's harps for many years, so
>continued after he and Cham-Ber split with Hohner.  Also, Stevie prefers the
>tone of the solid brass comb, so he plays a "heavy-weight" in every sense of
>the word.

I stayed with Cham-Ber in NY for a cuple of days a while back, and talked
about his deal with Stevie.  According to CB, Stevie has one of the two
original CBH prototypes, with a solid silver body, and plays it in
preference to most other harps on recordings.  He doesn't take it gigging.
Some time after this, I heard that Stevie's silver CBH had been stolen.
Anyone know about this?

CB has the other silver prototype, which he played for me (we hacked
through the Bach double violin concerto together ... OK, he played it great
and I hacked through it).  It was by far the most awesome sounding
chromatic harp I have ever heard.  Maybe something to do with the player,
as well:)

Having been a flute player since age 6, I remember the quantum leap in tone
I got when I bought my first solid silver bodied instrument.  I'd love to
be able to afford silver for my diatonic bodies!

BTW, with all this talk of web pages and ugly faces, you might like to
check out my new home page ...

http://www.garply.com/garply/staff/hippo

... which is still under construction, but has the obligatory ugly mug shot.

   -- hugh

--
| Hugh  - Vice President and System Manager  -   Net Results, Inc. |
| Messenger  -  Senior Systems Admin  -  Southern Network Services |