Re: Suzuki Pro-master valved

> > >If you play through a Bullet/JT30 into an overdriven amp, the buzzing
> > >actually gives a better sound.
> >
> > Let's see now, I'll get a better tone if I have buzzing reeds and overdrive
> > the buzz through my amp.
> >
> > Give me a break.
>
> You never know until you've either heard it or tried it.  Of course, I
> probably would have responded the same way before trying it myself.  I'm
> VERY fussy about my sound.

A side note - I just finished a soundtrack session for a movie.  They
wanted a clean, dry harp sound for chord-chunking and a few fills, and a
little solo action on the way out; a pretty basic "harp as a rhythm
instrument" cut.  I used the valved ProMaster into a condenser mic maybe 4
inches from the harp.  I chose to play it clean on most notes, but I
"growled" a couple in appropriate places, intentionally.  This cut was
first position, but I used plenty of low notes on it - stuff that would
have required cross harping without windsavers, but was a piece of cake
with low blow bending.  The producer told the musical director he really
liked the harmonica.

The buzzing can easily be controlled, used as an effect, or eliminated if
you want, once you get the technique down.  I make extensive use of it,
much as Big Walter did with growls, i.e. the fifteen funkiest notes ever
played on a harp (the improv on "Easy".)

 -- mike