Re: IDEAS FOR U.S. VISIT

>     I would appreciate some advice about where to find ripping good
>     harmonica sessions during my visit to the US (I've been living in the
>     Philippines for the past 9 years).  Send your ideas direct to me -- no
>     need to fill up Harp-L space.
>
>     I'll be in WASHINGTON, D.C. evening of Feb 28-Mar 3.  I gather from
>     past listings that there's a good club in Wheaton -- does anyone know
>     who's playing those nights?  Are there other clubs not to miss?

    The club in Wheaton is TORNADO ALLEY - a huge, if somewhat nondescript,
place. You're here during the week, which isn't so good...I don't know of
any harp acts headed that way.
    Places to check include FLEETWOOD'S in Alexandria, Va., which is
relatively new and owned by Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac fame. Lots of
good acts here...CITY BLUES CAFE in the District has music almost every
night. It's on Connecticut Avenue NW, only a couple of blocks from a subway
stop...the NEW VEGAS LOUNGE has jams on Tuesday and Wednesday that are
friendly, so bring your harps and play. It's on P St. NW between 14th and
15th NW...a dicey neighborhood but not as bad as it looks. Friendly crowd
inside...THE WHARF in Alexandria has a lot of blues acts, but call first and
make sure they don't have a jazz band when you want to go...CHIEF IKE'S
MAMBO ROOM in Adams Morgan has blues on Monday nights, usually a great
band...Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun, really more of a rockabilly act but
tons o' fun, play every Tuesday at WHITEY'S in Arlington.
     Local harp players (or bands with 'em) to watch for when perusing the
local ads for places to go include Doug Jay, Hugh Feeley (often plays with
Ben Andrews) Roger Edsall and/or Rollercoaster (Roger plays in several
bands), Steve Levine's band (its name escapes me...Steve is on this list),
Charlie Williams' various projects (he's on the list too), the Steve Smith
Blues Band and of course, my band, The Confabulators. We don't have any gigs
booked while you're here, though.
     Have fun!