Re: Cases for Harps

re:

>>It's kind of a kick when I check this
>>through airport security and see the expressions on the guards faces as they
>>open it.  One guy even called his buddies over to see the wierd collection of
>>harps I was toting.
>>
>  I, too, have had this experience (grin). For *real* fun, try hauling your
>harmonicas through a check point at the White House (it's a long story).
>They even got X-rayed to make sure they weren't explosive.

////////////////

This stuff can get serious, especially on international flights.

I have this cool little canvas snap-pouch I picked up years ago
that just exactly accommodates ten ten-hole diatonics (in an
irreplaceable vintage assortment of those thin, flexible plastic
snap-cases that Special 20s and Blues Harps used to come in),
packed like sardines.  They fit tightly enough to each other
that the pouch actually becomes semi-rigid.

The good news is that as a package, this has got to be the
absolute minimalist harp gig bag of all time -- the exact
geometry and volume of ten harps laying side by side, plus no
more than 1/4" of heavy canvas protection in any direction.  I
can stick it in my belt under a jacket and walk into a club
hands-free.

The bad news is that it X-rays like a box of Browning 9mm
Hi-Power ammo clips -- or worse.  Kind of a Rorschach test of
airport security's worst nightmares rolling along the conveyor
belt right up there on the video monitor.  (The image is even
spooky to me, and I'm used to it;  I'd hate to be the guy behind
me looking at the screen over my shoulder).

I've learned to pack them real shallow in my carry-on bags for
quick access for visual checks, since they're always a good bet
for my getting pulled offline, but I haven't had to actually play
"Shenandoah" for any suspicious inspectors -- yet.  It's usually
good for one of those "and I thought I'd seen it all" looks from
old-timers who've just about seen it all, and a subdued "Thank
you" and a grin.  (Actually, I'd probably be relieved myself to
confirm they're harps instead of ammo clips. :)

Of course, I'm glad security is doing its job, and I'm proud to
have me and my harps doing our international good-citizen part to
keep them on their toes.  (Fade in "Stars and Stripes Forever"...
on a Marine Band, of course! :)  B*