Breathing & The Nose

I want to add emphasis to Winslow's response to Mike Curtis' comments on
breathing through the nose as a way to take on or be rid of air.  I became very
adept at this technique about twenty years ago, and even today I still fight off
the natural reaction I developed to draw in air through the nose.  As a result,
as Winslow noted, it has taken me a long time to perfect my bending techniques,
and after a long night of blowing I have to concentrate not to fall back on this
terrible habit.

As an additional comment on deep breathing, meditation breathing techniques are
a wonderful way to develop the intake of air in the diaphragm.  There are some
yoga excercises for the stomach muscles that can help develop diaphragmatic
tremolo;  any good yoga book will have them listed as explained.  A strong
diaphragm will help you in getting rid of air when you have the full strength of
your stomach muscles to quickly force out what you don't need.