Re: Music and the Misses

Tim writes...
Subject: Re: Music and the Misses

>:How many of you harpers are married?  and does it affect your music?
>
>I have been married to my current wife for almost sixteen years and she
>supports me MORE than 100% Just look at my new PA.
>
>PS She's also a great fan!

Tim,

I played my harmonica for her when we were a courtin'. I think I won her over
when I serenaded her.

My wife and I have been married going on 35 this year. We have always allowed
each other to enjoy freedom to pursue individual interests. I've attended 17 of
the last 18 SPAH festivals. Spend a great deal of my free time doing harmonica
stuff, playing gigs, newsletter, membership, festivals, (and, like now, hacking
away on HARP-L at 10:30 pm at my office). I even have my own checking account
for my harmonica mad money - sometimes new computer toys eat away at it though.
She is an honest critic of how I, and our club performing groups, sound.

She loves harmonica music - but would rather hear the pros - who sound good and
get paid for it - than me.  My dog doesn't complain, just howls.

I'll never forget our 15th anniversary. I was 39 years old and had never seen
the Harmonicats. She took me out with friends to see them perform on one of
their rare appearances in Columbus. I was like a kid at Christmas. I thought I
died and went to heaven. -- I didn't know there were harmonica clubs then. I
think Jerry introduced Richard Smith in the audience - whom I met a year later
in 1976 when he founded our club (Buckeye State Harmonica Club). I don't know
what ranks highest in my life - my first "Cats" show or the trip with my wife
to the 1993 World Harmonica Championships in Trossingen.

Jack