Re: Chromatic scale in top 4 holes?

> As far as harping is concerned, I'm a beginner, and my chops are
> _very_ limited. However, I'm able to get a full chromatic scale out of
> most diatonics (except the A, where I can't get a clean overblow on
> blow 1).

In the Howard Levy video, he mentions that offset is important in
overblows. You may need to adjust the offset on that reed, and the other
reed in that hole.  Overblows use both reeds.

> I need this, too, since I want to play jazz. Only in the
> upper register (the top 4 holes) I miss quite a lot of notes.
> Referring to a C harp, I can't get:
> 	o D flat (bend on draw 8)

I use a valved harp instead of overblows.  This permits me to bend both
notes in the hole, giving three chromatic octaves without overblowing or
overdrawing (which is important, because you can't overblow/overdraw
valved harps :-) For a non-valved harp, I believe you'd get the high Db by
overdrawing the B in 7.

> 	o E flat (bend on draw 9)

Draw 9 is F, an unbendable note (except on valved harps.) Get this on blow
8.  Bend the E down to Eb.

> 	o B (half-tone bend on draw 10, I get the B flat)

Draw 10 is A, another unbendable note on non-valved diatonics.  Even on a
valved diatonic, it's very hard to get.  Offset is important.

High Bb is on blow 10, from C.  You can get B and Bb, but the half
bent B requires a more gentle bend than the Bb.  Practice will get it.

The general rule for unvalved diatonics is: you can bend the higher reed
down close to the lower reed in any given hole.  Holes 1 thru 6 allow
bending draw reeds.  Holes 7 through 10 allow bending of blow reeds.

I've gotten around this limitation by using windsavers on the normally
bendable reeds.  This allows the normally unbendable reeds to be bent,
and gives you three plus chromatic octaves on a diatonic.

I also play a lot of jazz - and you're absolutely right - you NEED all
those notes for jazz!

 -- mike