high end position

>When I hear jazz harp players, and someone who verges on jazz play at the
>high end like Sugar Blue, what mode are these people playing in?  I have
>a working knowledge of 1st (straight), 2nd (crossed), and 3rd
>(dorian--thank you) positions, and these jazz harp players I'm lumping
>Sugar Blue in with don't seem to be doing any of these.  Am I mistaken?
>Or if I'm right, what position is it, and how does that translate with,
>say, a C harp.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be cross harp (at least for players like
Sugar Blue and John Popper) because the scale switches at the seven hole to
keep the diatonic scale consistent.  The high notes are bent on the blow
and this would make sense, and if you listen to them play, switching from
low to high bends (good example is Big Walter's "Trouble In Mind") wouldn't
they be off key if they switched positions?  I believe eveything Popper
plays is in G.  With C-harps.
As for jazz players, it depends on which notes they are stressing- most of
the time, playing the high register is done for flourishing the music with
bends-which if done right can sound beautiful..
But I'm no expert.

In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.-George Szell
                              Jason P.G. Martin