Howard Levy/Corky Siegel Concert, Variou

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday night (that's tonight) in Chicago, Howard Levy, Corky
Siegel, and possibly Joe Filisko, will be giving a concert

Adagio restaurant
923 Weed St
Chicago
312-787-0400   --- $25

It's a benefit for Albert Lukasik, who works closely with both
Joe and Howard on harmonica repair, design and teaching. A
non-smoker (and a lively, energetic guy), Albert has developed
lung cancer. If you're in the area, I urge you to treat yourself
to a night of fine and unusual harmonica music, and in the
process help someone who has given a lot to advance the cause.

===== Danny Wilson asks about Hohner going bankrupt. Haven't
heard that rumor. It IS well known that the company very nearly
died in the mid-1980's when they lost what is rumored to be
hundreds of millions of dollars in ill-fated ventures into MIDI
keyboards and PC's (!) using technology too old to be
competitive. That's when the company was acquired by the Kurzt
furniture concern in Stuttgart, which also acquired Sabian
cymbals and Sonor drums, both of which now exhibit with Hohner at
trade shows.

I rather doubt that they're in trouble currently. If that were
the case, they'd be hunkering down. Yet they're re-tooling the MS
design and assembly line, bringing out a Centennial edition
Marine Band (it's the current Marine Band, with gold-plated
covers, in a Navy-blue box), and sponsoring two harmonica shows
coming up here in San Francisco. They've also hired Josh Fertel.
If they were really hurting, I doubt if they'd bother filling
vacancies.
          zzz
I made the same comment to Jack Kavoukian about his golf game and
his response wasn't as warm as I expected, either. He did,
however, wax quite effusive on the history of the Marine Band
(Jack, after all these years as Hohner USA Director of Marketing,
actually showing an *interest* in harmonicas!). He did say he'd
continue doing some consulting with Hohner and may continue to do
the Easy Reeding Newsletter.

====== Someone asked after Little Annie. I had a conversation
with her the other day. She gets printouts of the Harp-l digest
from her net-connected relative, but doesn't get to sneak into
his office after-hours to actually get online all that often. She
and Paul Rishell are going to England in April (Glastonbury
festival and some other gigs), and later in, I think, July and
September. She'll also be doing some teaching gigs in the summer,
on both coasts. She recently sent me a video of her and Paul
doing an acoustic duo set at a festival in Quincy, MA last
summer. Verry nice.

====== Checked out the new Harp-L homepage today.

The harmonica logo came up right away, but the GIF pictures of
the National Steel and Mariah Carey took 10 MINUTES to LOAD.
GET RID OF THEM - THEY ARE UNRELATED TO HARP-L. Put them on the
menu pages to which they are linked. It's a royal pain to wait
for these.

====== Been trying to get to Irish harmonica News, but encounter
a lot of errors, and srill haven't made it.

===== Someone asked about John Popper playing in other than
second position. On Travelers and Thieves, he plays straight harp
on "Bagheera", while on Ivory tusk he starts out playing second
position, in D on a G harp. But the key changes under him, so he
finds himself riding out varuois chord vamps in A (third
position) E (fourth) and back to D (second). There may be other
examples, but these are ones that come to mind.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica Information Press
Z  The lion may lie down with the lamb, but I doubt the lamb will
Z    get much sleep . . .