Re: OTHER TUNINGS

Just to claify:

To all:
I did err in identifying the C Major blow reed plate / Gm Natural Minor draw
reed plate combination as a C Dorian - it should have been G Dorian - sorry
about that.  Barry Schaede uses the proper method of arriving at a C Dorian
when he combines an F Major blow with a Cm Natural Minor draw plate.  (By the
way, Barry, what do the initials FJM stand for - did I miss an earlier
explanation?  I've been meaning to ask for some time.)

To George Miklas:
I should have explained that Lee identifies his Natural Minor tunings in
cross harp.  Therefore, the #2 draw (G) identifies the harp as a Gm Natural
Minor.  This then gives you the flatted 3rd (Bb)and flatted 7th (F) needed to
make the G Dorian scale.  With this confusion added to my error noted above,
no wonder you asked if you had missed something!  Shame on me!!!  (An
interesting aside:  since Lee was the first to manufacture the Natural Minor
and Melody Maker tunings, he chose to identify them in cross harp, as the
largest percentage of players use the cross harp method.  He says that if he
had been the first to manufacture the standard major tuning, he would have
identified that in cross harp as well.  So the familiar C harp would have
been a G harp!)

To Winslow:
I mentioned in my post of Jan 29, V95-11, that Jack Kavoukian announced his
forthcoming retirement on March 31.  However, I seemed to get a mixed message
from him that left me wondering.  Knowing how much he loves golf, I stated,
"Looks like you'll be playing a lot more golf now, right?", and he sort of
dodged the question uncomfortably.  This was in Horst Mucha's presence, who
jumped in with the reply that Jack would still be working some special
assignments for Hohner, including the 1996 NAMM Show.  This really left me
hanging, because I have heard the persistant rumor in the last two months
that "Hohner has gone bankrupt", but I didn't dare bring up the subject in
the context of our discussion.  Any light on that one, Winslow?  I'm sorry I
didn't have a chance to meet Jack's replacement, Josh Fertel.  Just too much
happening at the NAMM Show to get it all in.

To Bob Williams:
Also in my posting of Jan 29, I mentioned the update on Little Sonny's recent
tour of Japan.  I'm sure we are going to hear a lot more from Little Sonny in
the future - he's working on putting together a European tour next.

To the list of L.A. harpers' activity in the near future, add Lee Oskar, who
will be playing April 22 at the Baked Potato, Pasadena.

Got a promo sheet today from Bob Vorel, publisher of Blues Revue, stating
that the next issue is entitled Women In The Blues and Festival Issue.  Among
the various women covered will be our own Little Annie Raines (Annie Cohen),
as well as Rod Piazza's wife, pianist Honey Piazza.

Article in today's L.A. Times titled "Larry Adler: Refugee From the
Blacklist", discusses a 1993 documentary "Larry: My Life In Music" to be
screened Tuesday (2-7-95) at UCLA's Melnitz Theater as part of the Academy
Documentary series.  Interesting article, but contains some biographical
errors, such as Larry's age.  It states that Larry will be 85 on February 14,
while in reality, Larry will be 81 on February 10!  Remember, his 1994 album,
"The Glory of Gershwin", celebrated his 80th birthday.  Makes you wonder who
researched the article for Kevin Thomas, Times Staff Writer.  If anyone
wishes, I will post the article in it's entirety - it's only about 10
column-inches long.

Another note in today's L.A. Times states: "The House of Blues on Sunset Blvd
was named the best nightclub in the nation at the Pollstar '94 Concert
Industry Awards sponsored by Pollstar, teh music industry trade magazine.
 The awards ceremony was held Saturday night at -- where else? -- the House
of Blues."

'Til next time,  --   Danny Wilson (BassHarp)