Re: Straight harp

<A little supplemental information to Win's excellent treatise on straight
harp, for those who play valved diatonic>

The lack of good blow bends in the middle octave is a major reason its
usefulness is limited in blues stylings in first position.  Valved
diatonics (with wind savers installed on the high reed in each hole)
overcome this problem, allowing every note to be bent.

The examples below assume a typical 10 hole C valved diatonic.  Also, not
knowing how to do ASCII harmonica tab, I'm using = for blow, + for blow
bend, - for draw, and _ for draw bend.  I assume you can tell from the
note whether it's a single, double, or triple bend.  If there's a
standard for ASCII tab, I'll be more than happy to follow up with a
"proper" translation.

This is one of the things I really like about valved diatonics.  Because
you can bend both blow and draw notes, the entire harmonica is useful.
The 5 blow bend produces a nice major-to-minor third bend.  Coupled with
the 6 blow bend, one can play some really nice runs, like the following
licks:

           3= 3_ 4=  5+ 5= 5- 6+ 6= 5+ 4= 4=
(5/8 rest) G  A  C | Eb E  F  F# G  Eb C  C |

6+ 6= 7_ 6- 6= 5+ 5= 6= 5=+                             =
Gb G  Bb A  G  Eb E  G  (E, and immediately bend to Eb) C

(This is an effective run combined, too!)

These are copies of notes you can easily get on the top 3 holes, but
they're a lot more pleasant in the second octave.  However, you won't get
as many dogs howling with the lower notes :-)  Also, because they're in a
different octave, you can reuse the same runs, but with a totally
different "feel" each time.

One tune I've recently added is Tony Joe Whites "Rainy night in Georgia",
(Brook Benton had the big hit on it, but TJW wrote it) which I play in
first position, starting on the low C (blow 1).  I make extensive use of
the bent blow 5 (Eb) and 6 (Gb) for some very effective bluesy voicings.
I was playing at Rockfield Tavern (I do a single- electric harp, guitar,
and bass pedals- every other weekend), it was rainy outside, and the roof
was leaking right where I was playing, so I did it on the spur of the
moment for the first time - it just seemed like a natural at the time :-)
- and it went over very well, no doubt in great part due to the nice blow
bends available on the valved diatonic.

If you'd like to valve your diatonics, Hohner will send you enough for
one or two harps free.  They quoted me $12 per gross, but maybe if you
ask nice, they'll cut you a better deal??

 -- mike
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx