12 Keys One Harp

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Christian N Michalek wrote:

> Well I gave my first public performance of blues in all twelve keys on
> one harp.  I will never do that again!!!  Man I don't know How Levy does
> that...  I didn't plan on doing it but there was a sax player that dared
> me to do it.  He didn't think the harp could be played in more that two
> keys.  I was telling him that he is wrong and I wasn't about to back down
> so I had to show him.  All the sax player said afterwards "...that was
> pretty cool, but you can't get do it as well a sax..."  I agree.
>
> So this all makes me wonder how many of you guys out there can actually
> do this?  HAve any of you tried or do most of you not care?
>
> -Chris Michalek

I guess I've never heard of this.  Can you explain it?  Frankly, from
your description I doubt I'll be trying it.  I dig playing harp, but I
don't do a lot of harp tricks or guaranteed show stoppers.  I just try to
make my blowing fit the moment the best way I can.  I guess I've always
considered a regular ten hole diatonic harp to be a rather limited
instrument, because of limitations on actave, but especially because of
the limitations on key.  I know about 4 "positions" for changing key, but
that hardly explains what you are talking about.  What gives?

	Steve