Audiences not paying attention

Jack,
You wrote,
> Our club gigs used to bother me if people talked, or even if one
>person was bored or asleep. But I don't let that bother me anymore.

Some years ago my group realized we weren't getting paid enough to work and
get ignored all at the same time.  We play to enjoy ourselves, not to pay our
bills.  We charge of course, but that money is extra money in our budgets and
is fun money.  Anyway, when we realized the lack of enjoyment we experienced
when playing background music at a party, etc. we started asking certain
questions about the job, the facility, and the audience we were being hired
to play for.  Now we only take jobs with the following conditions.

Never during a dinner, party etc.  Only before or after.
Not without a scheduled performance time.  (we don't do "fill in for a couple
hours")
Not without audience seating.  We don't play to standing audiences (you can't
tell if you get a standing ovation)
Not outdoors while it's snowing.
And now we have added, We don't play on Saturday Night Live.

Bob Williams