Re: Those higher notes

> At 12:51 AM 2/2/95, Mike Curtis wrote:
> >"Humility" doesn't mix well with musicianship and showmanship.
>
> My experience has shown me that humility mixes well with all phases of
> life. Leading a humble existence and exercising humility are related but
> not the same thing. A lack of humility usually points to an insecure and
> fragile ego. Bring a self-inflated, self-serving ego to Music City and
> they'll drum you out of town. Come here as an excellent musician with
> humility and they might let ya play with 'em and you're just one of many.

Sorry - you're of course correct.  I didn't express myself well.

I'm not advocating egotism based on insecurity, etc.  Far from it.  Some
folks have to be "right at all costs, even if I'm wrong I'm right", and
this of course is bad.

But a musician can be "too humble", too.  A musician should be outgoing,
personable, have a genuine love for others, and to a certain extent place
their wants above his.  When we play a blues club, we would be out of
line playing classical - unless the audience likes it.  when done in
moderation (and maybe with a little twinge of "blue" coloring :-), it may
well be appropriate.  But when done all night long, it's highly likely
the audience will leave - and it will be your last night at the club ;-)

A good showman isn't always a "showoff".  In fact, someone who is TOO
much of a showOFF often is a POOR showMAN.  I've seen guitarists who reel
off bar after bar of blazingly fast licks, but just stand there doing
nothing.  Ask them why and they reply pridefully "I'm good enough that I
don't have to do any of that silly stuff".  (Of course, they're also
reeling these off while you're trying to play, or the singer is trying to
sing, etc.)

I believe it requires a certain amount of humility to try to put on a
visual as well as a musical show.

 --  mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx