Re: Those higher notes

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Mike Curtis wrote:

> High notes can be challenging to make sound good, but once you master them,
> the audience LOVES it!  Keep working on it - you'll be glad you did!

This is true, and I've never understood it.  Everytime I see a harp
player who takes really opportune moment to hit a high note with drama and
pizzazz the audiences go nuts, even the harp player has done incredible
and intricate stuff with a beautiful tone in the mid to low range,
which the audience doesn't acknowledge.  I've also seen really mediocre
harp players muddle through harp solos (no one on the present list) and
then blow an eardrum dammaging squeek that sends me into convulsions, but
sends the rest of the audience into frenetic applause.  I've done my
share of ear damage to well-intentioned audiences, but if anyone can
explain to me why blwoing a shatttering squeal is more entertaining than
all the other stuff I do, I'd appreciate it.

There are some really good harp players at the top end of of the harp
and I'm not one of them--I'm jealous--who play with real musician ship up
there, and I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about hitting 9 blow
with a bit of a bend loud, shrill, and that's all.  Why is that so
entertaining?
		_____
	 Steve =#####= Harmonica Price!