Re: Crystal Balls Mic

>I know one player that paid $150 for one of the Crystal Balls Mics...
>didn't like that sound.  Sent it to Rod Piazza and got it "hot rodded"
>for $65.  I haven't heard the mic (before or after)... but this guy
>swears that Rod made is sound much better... fuller... fatter... hotter...
>better tone.  For $215, he SHOULD have had tone!  :-)

I sent my old static to Rod Piazza, got the cap, the screw on
connector, the heavy duty pot and a little foam dot to keep
the screen from vibrating against the crystal. It cost $65.
Rod supposedly does something to the crystal, but the
crystal blew a short time latter and I am not sure if it
was different than my unaltered JT-30 with no pot or cap.

The alterations affect the volume. At full crank I get less
volume than the other JT30. Both have new crystals
from Kevin's. The difference between the altered and
straight Astatic is that the altered one has the
convenience of a volume control at the cost of lost
amplitude.

At blues week at least a dozen people played the
Rod Piazza astatic through a small (but kick-ass) Premier
tube amplifier. The tone was in the mouth of the player.
Everybody had a different sound and the good players
all had that Little Walter fat sound. The newbies and
wannabees all sounded thin and reedy. Charlie Sayles
was great.

Charlie Sayles quote from his class:

The sound comes from here (pointing to his
stomach) not here (pointing to his mouth).

     Keith