Re: MISC CATCH-UP UPDATES

At  1:56 AM 10/27/94 -0400, BassHarper@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Off the record comments/questions not intending to hurt my very good friend
>Norman Ives, or anyone else:  purchasing the Ultimos (offered in Major tuning
>only, and no replacement reed plates available) at a cost comparable to the
>Lee Oskars.  It might leave some players a little disappointed when they
>become aware of the cost of sending them back across the pond for warranty
>work or replacement.  When you buy a cheap harmonica, it's not so difficult
>to toss it in the trash when it goes out, but tossing a $30 harp out would
>make most of us think twice.

a) they last a lot longer than LO's (for me).
b) they are a $24 harp, not a $30 harp.  The extra $6 is a direct result of
having to pay for IMO's and p&p from Europe because nobody in the US is
allowed to sell them (in case I didn't mention that before >insert smiley
here<).
c) I'm told that spare Ultimo reed plates are available from Japan, but
Norman doesn't stock them because nobody ever orders them.

On the subject of spare reed plates ... although they are a great idea,
I've never had the chance to use any.  When one of my harps blows out, I
need a replacement right away (this is how I earn my living, so I'm playing
four or five nights a week).  I've never lived near a music store big
enough or harp oriented (orientated?) enough to carry a meaningful amount
of spare plates, and I can't wait the week it will take them to order a
plate in.  I'd love to have enough spare harps that I could switch to the
backup and order a plate, but if I had that kind of money I'd be buying
Meisterklasses anyway.

>Again, Norman is a very dear friend,
>and I commend him for the great service he is doing in the name of harmonica.

Likewise.  You can get one of them from Norman.

>Hugh Messenger - thanks for your consideration.  That, too, is appreciated.

You're welcome.  Like I said, I have a lot of respect for Lee, yourself,
the company and the instruments.  I just have a king sized wild hair up my
ass about the freedom to buy what I want.  This is America, after all.

   -- hugh