MISC CATCH-UP UPDATES

To George (& everyone elso) -
The 1995 SPAH Convention celebrating their 32nd Anniversary, will return to
Detroit - hotel contracts are signed and complete.  The venue is the Holiday
Crowne Plaza at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, and will again be a 5-day
Harmonica Blast starting on Tuesday noon, August 29, and running thru the
Saturday night Banquet and Show, September 2.  This is the Labor Day Holiday
Weekend, which allows an extra day for all the participants to get home
safely, and rest up for the Tuesday morning back-to-work rude awakening.
 Entertainment and workshop plans are still being planned, but be assured
that it will be another not-to-be-missed convention.

Charlie Musselwhite - talked to him yesterday, and he's leaving next Tuesday,
the 1st, for 3 weeks in Europe - if anyone needs details, get right back to
me and I'll try to get the info ASAP.  Charlie also told me his long-awaited
appearance on CBS' Sunday Morning will finally be aired on December 11!  It
was originally scheduled to air prior to Charles Kuralt's retirement earlier
this year, and was rescheduled a couple more times.  He says they have edited
it and added to it, so it should be a good segment.  We're watching, Charlie.

L.A. Blues - the Blues Harp Blow-Out sponsored by Southland Blues on
Thanksgiving Eve also includes Gary Primich - forgot to mention his name the
last time I posted this info.  Also, the Little Walter Harmonica Jam at the
House of Blues, Nov 18, will have Rod Piaza, James Harman, King Ernest and
Snooky Pryor.  (Tim, I assume this is the same jam hosted previously by Randy
Chartkoff, as you suggested, but I haven't talked to Randy lately, so I'm not
sure.  If so, of course Randy will play as well.)

Off the record comments/questions not intending to hurt my very good friend
Norman Ives, or anyone else:  purchasing the Ultimos (offered in Major tuning
only, and no replacement reed plates available) at a cost comparable to the
Lee Oskars.  It might leave some players a little disappointed when they
become aware of the cost of sending them back across the pond for warranty
work or replacement.  When you buy a cheap harmonica, it's not so difficult
to toss it in the trash when it goes out, but tossing a $30 harp out would
make most of us think twice.  Again, Norman is a very dear friend, and I
commend him for the great service he is doing in the name of harmonica.  In
fact, he and David Michelsen (Dr. Midnight), are the founders and directors
of HarpStart, an organization dedicated to youth education, primarily the
under-privileged, in harmonica.  That dedication produced two of the 1st
place winners in the 1993 World Harmonica Championships in Trossingen,
Germany!
I wish you all the best, Norman, and do not condemn you in any way for trying
to fill the needs of all who ask.

Jack Ely - your comments were very much appreciated - Thanks.

Hugh Messenger - thanks for your consideration.  That, too, is appreciated.

To everyone - I personally am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and exchange
of ideas on this net in every area of harmonicas, mics, amps, etc. - and from
all around the world.  As Jack said in the latest issue Harmonica Dispatch
(BSHC): ".....another neat thing about knowing people on this list is you can
communicate with them via their private E-mail address as well - sure saves
on stamps!"  And the immediacy of contact with so many great people on this
list is almost overwhelming when you stop to consider it.  Posts & input from
Steve Jennings, Winslow Yerxa, Jack Ely, Tim Moody, Richard Martin, Tan Cheng
Ann, Hugh Messenger, Barry Schaede, and on and on - mind-boggling!