Re: That pesky capacitor.

>The capacitor is in paralell with the potentiometer.  It seems to me that
>if the potentiometer wasn't wide open the capacitor would pass the high
>frequencies on through. Could it be that's what it's for. To boost the
>highs at lower volume?   Just a theory.  FJM

Not on mine(but maybe it's hooked up wrong). It's wired in parallel with
the input side of the pot and the wiper. Here's the circuit(notice the
lovely CAD system):

              -------|  |-------
              |        C       |
              |                |
       ------------/\/\/\/\--------------------Vout(to amp)
       |              R1            |
     -----                          \
     -----                          \
       |                            /
       |                            |
       ----------------------------------------Ground(shield)
R1 + R2 = 500K

When the mic is turned down all the way, R2=0 and Vout is at the same
potential as ground. When the mic is turned all the way up, R1=0 and the
cap is shorted. So in both extremes, the cap is out of the circuit. Also,
an RC network in this configuration acts as a high-pass filter -
essentially passing everything except sub-100HZ. This is what led me to
believe it was there for smoothing out transients.

I'm not submitting this to the list because it could be bad dope and nobody
likes bad dope.

Rick