Tuning

All this tuning discussion points out the main problem with Marine Band
Harmonicas.  They aren't easily adjusted.  A lot of players like to
adjust their instruments to suit their personal playing styles.  I stand
by my initial statement that Hohners as a rule are flat out of the box.
I don't mean that they are tempered.  They're tuned at the factory but
lose that pitch almost as soon as you start playing them.  I do find it
annoying that the octaves aren't tuned equal.  When you listen to Marine
Bands being played on record they sound flat when compared to the other
instruments.  Even someone with good relative pitch is going to notice
this.  If you haven't read the Steve Baker chapter on tuning read it
now.  It sheds light on this somewhat murky subject.  FJM