Fingers and Buffett

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saw Greg "Fingers" Taylor with Jimmy Buffett last night. Crazy
show with lots of smartass humor, great props (both onstage and
in the audience of parrotheads, lots of audience participation,
but atrocious sound. My ears are still ringing the next
afternoon.

We talked backstage before the slow - Greg's a real nice guy, but
the opening "surf" band (more like nuclear-explosion pink noise)
was so loud that after awhile he couldn't think.

He has a new album coming out, called "New Fingerprints" and his
earlier solo stuff on the British Red Lightnin label is being
reissued here in the U.S. - I forget by whom, but it's on the
interview tape (if that's even decipherable, considering the
thunderous sonic backdrop).

Fingers played some nice electric stuff - he's using a Shaker
with dynamic element and a '57 Bassman. His acoustic stuff was
inaudible, as the sound system was extremely overdriven and
distorted - and way too loud - and washed out everything above
about middle C. Absolutely inexcusable for a major act whose
production values were excellent in every other way.

Winslow