Re: HARP-L LOGO

        Howdy!  As an artist, I finally have to stop lurking and make a few
comments about the logo...

hippo@xxxxxxxxxx (Hugh Messenger) said:
>I'd just like to say ... I've never seen a 'cool' harp logo.  ...[snip]...
>The >harp is just a rectangular box with some holes in it.

        That's the problem, all right; the shape of the thing.  I have a
friend who was stopped at airport security and asked by a very
serious-looking official to allow inspection of his carry-on luggage.
Apparently a diatonic harmonica, when seen through an x-ray, looks a lot
like a gun clip...

        I like Winslow Yerxa's idea:

>How about a harmonica, with something like a lightning bolt or
>spark running along the top coverplate, or maybe an antenna
>radiating energy waves (little harmonicas?)

        For a logo, you want to keep it pretty simple.  A drawing of a harp
in two-point perspective (looking at it from the front corner, slightly
above) would make it easiest to tell what you're looking at, especially if
you keep the background uncluttered.  It would be nice to mix in an
electronic motif, for a link to the list...perhaps the harp could be
bursting out of a monitor...the word 'HARP-L' could be on the screen...

        Even simpler, how about Winslow's idea of the harp with a lightning
bolt on the cover plate, but surrounded by a sort of 'electric haze' - I'm
thinking of the way electricity is depicted in comics.  A simple thing like
this, with 'HARP-L' written beside it in bold letters, would look pretty
sharp.

        BTW everyone, great list!  You've got me playing again!

Mike Gilbert
mgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxx