Hering harps

 I have obtained one of the new Hering 64's and here's my impression
after trying it out for a day.

 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION: Very nice. Reeds are held in place with nuts and
bolts, not nails like on most Hohners. This means, of course, that you
can remove them.
 Otherwise, this looks very similar to a Hohner 280/64, except the
mouthpiece isn't as broad (tall). I *really* like this. I found that for
me (a pucker player), this made the harp easier to play. You don't have
to push the slide in as far to shift to the sharps 'n' flats as you do on
a Hohner. The cover plates are blah; no fancy engraving, just "Hering's
Chromatic Harmonica" printed on them in small letters. Holes are round,
like a Hohner 64; unlike that harp, all the notes are on the top or
bottom halves at once, depending on which way the slide is pushed in (the
Hohner alternates by hole, which is weird but which never bothered me one
way or the other).

 TONE: Well, this is what counts, isn't it? This harp has very nice tone,
very rich (oops, forgot to mention it has a plastic body). Somewhat
similar to the Hohner. I found it more responsive, though, particularly
in the lowest octave.

 OTHER IMPRESSIONS: Comes wrapped in tissue paper in a soft plastic case,
similar to the Hohner 365 and tremolo harps (no nice hard case like the
Hohner chromatics). Price: Only $67 from Farrell's! This is about $30
cheaper than a big Hohner chromatic and only slightly more than most
12-hole chromatics. Good value, good tone, easier to repair than many
chromatics.