Dylan's harp style

I love Bob Dylan, I think he's a fantastic songwriter and singer and a
better musician than he's often given credit for.

However, he is a terrible harp player. He's melodically inventive but he
has no tone, no technique, and he makes so many amateurish mistakes --
drawing the low holes very thinly so they wheeze, for instance -- that he
often makes me wince. When he plays simple melodic runs, he's good -- the
solos on "Desolation Row," for instance, are brilliant. But when he tries
to play blues, christ, I run for the hills. Check out his version of
"Sitting On Top of the World" on GOOD AS I BEEN TO YOU. Great song, but he
should have left the harp home.

Ken Ficara                                                      ficara@xxxxxxx