Re: Sugar Blue's big harp

>fm: christian.laferriere@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>subj: Sugar Blue's big harp
>

>I recently got a copy of SUgar Blue's new album. Sugar Blue is quite
>"Incendiary" as the promo suggests. I was just wondering if anyone
>could identify the very long harp he is holding in his hand on the photo.
>Is it a Tombo harmonica from Japan? It looks like it has over 24 holes in
>a row which is quite unusual.
>If someone can identify it, where can they be obtained from?
>
>Any help on this one would be appreciated.
>

>christian.laferriere@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>73052.1173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I saw Sugar Blue Sunday night.  OH MY GOD!  I have never been subjected
to such an onslaught of notes.  He is truly the most technically gifted player
I have ever seen.  He was however not gifted with restraint.  I thought to
myself that it must be terrible if you are that good, to have to hold back, or
play less notes to be a better player -- literally restrain yourself from playing
as as fast as you can, but that is what makes people like Jerry Portnoy, Kim
Wilson, and Gary Primich respected quality, not quantity.  The other thing
was that Sugar Blue played louder than anyone else I  have ever heard
anywhere, and he was in a very small club (Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse, NY).
I had to take refuge at a table to the side of the stage and it was still too loud!
His Mesa Boogie is definitely louder than my Fender Princeton.
Oh, he kept his big harp in his bandolero puch on his side.  I didn't see it.

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin', I'll tell everything I know" - SBWII