Bluesy Chrom-Technique

Hi Harp-L,

I'd like to drop in two questions about chromatic harmonica.

Firstly, there is this kind of tremolo-effect on the chrom that bluesplayers
use. When playing octaves they can make a certain thrill that's very blue.
For example William Clarke in the beginning of his solo on Greasy Gravy (CD -
Blowin' like hell) or Paul Lamb on Mother-In-Law-Blues (CD - Paul Lamb & the
King Snakes). The trill isn't done with the slide, nor with the tongue. I can
do it -but only by accident and when playing loud- by bending one of the
notes of an octave. So, you play an octave and simultaneously try to
bend one of the notes by extra air-pressure in one of the sides of your
mouth. My question now is : Is this the right technique ? I'd like to be able
to control this effect more -i.e. play it when I want to play it, and not by
accident- and play it at low volume. Another possibility would be to slightly
detune one of the notes of the octave you want the thrill on.

Secondly, a friend of mine told me he found an old chromatic harmonica that
looks a little bit like a UFO. After examination over the phone I found out
it looks like a Golden Melody, but larger, all iron, and with a slide. It's
the same harmonica as Toots Thielemans holds on the cover of his first re-
released CD -Man bites harmonica), a very cool-looking harp. Looks like one
of those old Cadillac cars. Does anyone knows the quality of this harp, the
model, and how much I should offer him to buy it ?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,
looking forward for results of the poll and questionaire !

Harp well,
Steven De bruyn.