Re: Learning techniques for t...

>Audun,
>
>I can definately help you.  I teach the chromatic harmonica via cassette tape
>to beginning, intermediate, and advanced players. Also,  I am Editor of The
>Harmonica Educator newsletter that is sent to readers in the U.S., England,
>and Australia.  I can help you to improve your chromatic harmonica
>musicianship and performance ability.  Advanced techniques, like bending and
>trills come later.  If you are just starting out, you must learn some basic
>fundamentals of chromatic harmonica musicianship and performance skills.  I
>can help you will these things, plus the advanced areas of playing.  Send me
>your mailing address, and I will send you info on the lessons and newsletter.

Richard Martin.

        Thanks for the mail. I am very interested in The Harmonica Educator
newsletter, and I hope it is not a problem that I live in Norway. Lessons
also sound interesting. You can send info to the following address:

                Audun Hvenekilde
                Solveien 144 B
                1169 Oslo
                Norway

        Here are some words about my musical background, if it is of any
interest.

        I have sung in an ambitious choir for three years, and here I have
learned to read notes. Currently I am also taking song lessons.
        I have played guitar in a year. In this period, I have played cover
tunes by Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie and others in an accoustic band with
other beginners/intermediates playing guitar, banjo, harp, and tin flute. Me
and another guitar beginner have just started to take lessons in classical
guitar.
        For a year, I have played some blues on harp by lending teaching
books with cassettes. I can bend, trill, and use vibrato and the wah-wah
effect. I have not played a lot together with others though.
        For half a year, I have played soprano and treble(alto) recorder. I
play baroque music for recorder and bass continuo(piano and cello).
        Eight months ago, I bought a 12-hole Hohner Chromonica 270. In the
last six months, I have played together with two very scilled guitarists
that have played for almost 20 years each, and a woman who sings and play
percussions. I have solo-sections and fill-ins in their tunes, and so far I
have learned by ear and by struggling to find the right tones on the
harmonica. The band has a soft and syncopated sound, dominated by the two
guitars(one nylon and one steel) and a singer that is often accompanied by
other singers.  I have two main motivations for learning to play chromatic
harmonica. One  is to improve my playing in this band. The other is to play
jazz like Toots Thieleman!