Re: SM57's (was amp mics)

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, Rick Barker wrote:

> Depending on the amp, a 57 (Shure SM57) may not have enough drive. Those
> low-Z mics have
> very low-level signals which are boosted by the PA pre-amp section. They
> don't have near the output of a guitar pick-up(which is what most amps are
> designed for) or a hi-Z bullet mic. A mic pre-amp may help.

 I'd be a lot cheaper to just get an impedance matching transformer and
plug it into the end of a low-Z mic cable. These cost something like $12
at Radio Shack, and boost low-Z mics to high-Z levels.

 Me, I can't hold onto a 57 when I play but it's my preferred mic for
vocals (great for small stages because the extremely directional pattern
cuts feedback). It's such a tough little clean-sounding mic, though, that
I'm curious how people get it to overdrive. Can someone tell me how they
set this up with the tone controls on their guitar amps?