SM57's (was amp mics)

At  7:00 PM 11/14/94 -0600, Rick Barker wrote:
>The nice thing about the Shure SM57's and SM58's is that they have an
>excellent price to performance ratio(reasonable cost for the quality) and,
>you can pound nails with 'em all day and sing through 'em all night.

I'll second that.  I've had a 57 in my gig case for about four years.  It
looks like s***, but still sounds as good as the day I got it.  My band
uses a total of nine 57's and 58's, and in 12 months of hard road only one
has crapped out on us.

I also happen to like their tone for harp work.  I'd advise anyone who's
been using bullets for a while to try a 57.  It requires setting your amp
up a little differently, but you may be suprised at the amount of overdrive
and honk you can get from them.  I especially like the profile - I find
using a bullet is like trying to hold a tennis ball and play at the same
time.

Sacrilidge, I know, but sometimes I like to play non Chicago stuff, and
bullets do kind of impose that sound on whatever you play.

   -- hugh