Re: Terms...

>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 02:11:20 -0330
>From: "Mark M. Bragg" <mbragg@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Terms...
>

>Tubes... What is a tube amp?

Early model amplifiers used vacumn tubes instead of transistors or
integrated circuits (ic.s).  Some people feel they have a different quality
of sound (timbre) than modern amps.

>I also don't know what a solid state amp is, or a transistor amp.

Basically the same thing.  Back in the 60's when transistors were first
commercially available there were so-called "hybrid" amps which contained
both vacumn tubes and transistors on the same circuit boards.  Rapidly
these gave way to all transistor amplifiers which were dubbed "solid state"
because of the lack of tubes in this type of amp and the fact that
transistors are solid blocks of semi-conductor material.  ICs are just a
bunch of miniaturized transistors all put together in a little square of
semiconductor with convenient connector pins coming off the sides.

>If someone could also explain "Spring Reverb"

Old amps didn't use electronic circuitry to produce reverb, but had a
metal coil (the spring) that was exited at one end and the vibrations would
bounce around along the length of the spring...giving a reverb effect which
was sent on to the next amplifying stage.  These kind of amps are cool
cause you can kick them and they'll produce a sound like thunder or an
explosion, which is just the spring reacting to the vibration of the kick.

> "XLR connection", and

Got me on this one...somebody else?

>"impedence",

Impedance is the AC version of what resistance is in DC.  In a DC circuit
the load is represented as a resistance of a certain value and is usually
constant (DC voltage is constant as well).  In an AC circuit the voltage is
varying between peaks at a freguency which may itself be changing at
varying rates.  Capacitance, Inductance and Resistance will all come into
play in varying degrees, depending on the frequency of the AC signal, to
impede the change of voltage.  The sum of these effects is the impedance of
the circuit at that frequency.  For instance, a capacitor will not let a DC
(or steady-state) voltage pass...but as frequency increases, the capacitor
becomes more and more transparent, until its effect on the circuit is
negligible.  An inductor will offer no resistance to the flow of electrons
at very low frequency or DC, but as frequency increases will offer more and
more impedance to the change in amplitude and direction of the electron
flow.  The resistive component of impedance remains constant at all
frequencies.

>I'd be most appreciative.  Thanks.

Well, that's sort of a simplistic explaination...a circuit theory book may be
an investment you'll want to make so that you can have it available as a
reference when these type of questions pop up.

Hope this helps.

Bill Long  >--  StarGazer