Re: Worst Gig (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Re: Worst Gig

This one just happened to me.  We got booked into a bar that's a gay and
lesbian bar some nights, and a blues bar others.  No problem.  They
recently put in a new kitchen then ran out of money so they couldn't hook
the gas up.  Seems they couldn't afford advertising either.  We showed up,
loaded down the stairs and the bar was empty.  I didn't mind, I've played
to empty houses before. I said let's do it.  The guitar player was
incensed.  He kept waiting for more bodies.  He disappeared down the
street to another bar and came back 45 minutes later trashed.  We finally
start to a crowd of maybe 5 people 3 of whom we know.  We stumble
through one set and the bartender informs us that he's just talked to the
owner on the phone and they want to close up early because no one's
making any $$$.  We get offered the choice of playing another set or
quitting right there.  Well now Larry the guitar player is really flipped
out.  I drive him over to the studio where he proceeds to smoke non
personality enhancing substances in great quantity.  (I don't do that sort
of thing) We're really late getting back by now.  We finally head back
and he asks me to drop him off at another bar.  Who am I to say no?  I go
back to the gig where everyone asks where Larry is.  I tell them. They
agree we should just quit for the night so I load my stuff out and up
the stairs and into my car.  Larry shows up plowed.  Wanting to play a
set.  He talks us into doing it.  I carry all my gear down the stairs
again and we play a rather abbreviated poor last set to 7 people.  Larry
falls off the stage once but we survive. We load out then settle up with
the drummer who was subbing on a guarantee.  She graciously accepts the
total door $20 and calls it even.  We turn around to go home and Larry's
disappeared.  We couldn't find him for 2 days.  I got him though.  I had
his 66 Strat in my car and forgot and took it home with me.  I pretended
I didn't know where it was for a day before I gave it back.  FJM  not
very funny but hey you asked.

 There is the time my other band opened for
the Texas Tornadoes and the guitar player freaked out and played wrong
chords for all 45 minutes of our only set.  200 miles from nowhere on the
White Mtn. Apache reservation. Hey there's a theme here. Guitar players.

FJM