Re: Breaking in Harps and Quality Control

--- Begin Message ---
>:for replaceable single reeds. Why not single reeds? Because the
>:manufacturers know a good thing-their refusal to design replaceable single
>:reeds keeps us throwing out 19 good reeds, comb, reed plates, screws,
>:covers and boxes, and buying 20 more reeds, etc. of same.

>Here is my plug for repairing your own harps. DO IT! Reed replacment is
>simple after you've done a couple. I NEVER throw away the other nineteen
>reeds, or anything else for that matter. TRUE, they should make the reeds
>individually replacable. I am an advocate for that. I hear that Farrell sell
>a 270 with each reed screwed down for individual replacement. This is what
>the Big Boys should do. In all fairness, I must point out the negative side
>of this. As one with a lot of production design and process automation
>experience, I can tell you it would not be an easy chore to manufacture reed
>plates with screws. The production cost would be higher and the harp would
>cost twice as much. BUT WAIT! Who wouldn't pay twice as much for a lifetime
>harp? I would gladly pay it!!!!

>Anyone else?

>Tim Moody

Farrell does sell harmonicas converted to bolt on reeds. I don't have prices -
but the models he converts (I think) are the 270 wood comb, the 270 with his
(Farrell's) own lifetime comb and the Toots Hard Bopper with wood or his
lifetime comb and also maybe the 280. But... He will also sell you the kits to
do it yourself - nuts, bolts, tools & instructions (NOT REEDS). Please note
that the stock 270 and 280 have nailed on reed plates ~yech~. If you are going
to the trouble of putting bolt on reeds you may as well convert the reed plates
too. (kits also available from R.F.) - Farrell's converted harmonicas (bolt on
reeds) include the bolt on reed plates.

Another neat thing about the bolt on reed kits is you don't have to do the
whole haromonica - You can just replace the bad reed (faster and easier than
screwing around with rivets) and you're ready to go. The bolt on reed kit
contains enough materials to do one 280 (16 hole 64 notes) and will work on
anything from a 4 hole little lady to a 280.

                    Jack Ely      ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@pmdf

--- End Message ---