Re: Breaking in Harps and Quality Control

Tim and Harvey,

If we stand firm at the store, as you do, Tim, and if ultimately the
manufacturer is forced to take back the bad harps, this kind of thing will
not happen so often. I just bought about 15 harps from Kevin, and I really
like my service from Kevin, but like you say, Harvey, mail order pretty
much ends your chance for complaint. I save enough buying mail order that
I can afford to get a few bad harps, which I leave in the glove
compartment or use to try to learn tuning, repair, etc. Still, I got in
the last order three harps that were pretty worthless. They were cheap
harps, but even a cheap harp should have some quality. One was badly
tuned, which I will try to fix. One Silvertone feels as if it has iron
reeds. And a Huang tremelo  thing I bought for a lark, and which sounded
good for a few days, began to get kind of tangled up tones, like all those
reeds were going a little flat or sharp. My nine year old daughter loved
it, nevertheless. She's not as finicky as her old Dad. Anyway, maybe we
need to complain about this return policy and raise a deafening clamour
for replaceable single reeds. Why not single reeds? Because the
manufacturers know a good thing-their refusal to design replaceable single
reeds keeps us throwing out 19 good reeds, comb, reed plates, screws,
covers and boxes, and buying 20 more reeds, etc. of same. Lee Oscar could
go a step further and offer just draw plates. The blows never seem to go.
And for a chromatic, replaceable single reeds would be a major plus. Maybe
there is some big flaw in my argument. I don't know much about repair. But
it seems they should be able to offer us this. After all, harp playing is
really expensive in the long run.

Ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-There is a dream dreaming us.-
!Kung Bushman