Re: Old Standby

> What's the word on the Hohner Old Standby? Is it just a cheap version of
> a Marine Band? I know that Charlie McCoy plays them, and I think a few
> other great players have mentioned using them. Being, on the most part, a
> Marine Band player, I'm considering trying out a couple. Anyone have any
> good or bad experiences they'd like to share with them?
>
> -Steve

 Charlie Musselwhite has been known to play them on occasion too. I've
tried one or two in "C" and they just seemed like cheap Chinese plastic
Hohners to me, similar to Pocket Pal harps. They look a lot like
Special 20s but they don't sound as good to my ears.
 If you want to try a plastic harp and you're using a marine band now,
I'd recommend the Special 20s. They have somewhat similar tone, IMHO.
I've been using them quite a bit these days although I still prefer
the ease of use of Lee Oskars. Lee's opted for the bright tuning,
though, and I'm finding that the Special 20s sound better close-miked
for blues playing.
 Obviously, that's an opinion. Please don't kill me.