Re: Paul deLay

ENUFF, ALREADY ABOUT PAUL. HE IS PAYING THE PRICE FOR WHAT HE DID AND
HOPEFULLY WHEN HE GETS OUT HE WILL REALIZE THAT HE CAN HAVE A GREAT CAREER
WITHOUT THE DRUGS. HELL SOME OF OUR MOST FAMOUS AND TALENTED MUSICIANS ARE
RECOVERED - IE NO BOOZE OR DRUGS.  I DON'T WISH HARD TIME ON ANYONE AND WHO
KNOWS IT MIGHT HAVE SAVED HIS LIFE. IF YOU WANT TO HELP HIM, WRITE HIM A
LETTER AND GIVE HIM SOME SUPPORT. CAUSE WHEN YOU GET OUT - THAT'S WHEN THE
HARD ROAD BACK REALLY BEGINS, PAROLE, FINDING WORK, PAYING THE BILLS, CLUB
OWNERS, AGENTS, AND LOTS OF AVAILABILITY OF JUST WHAT YOU DON'T NEED TO GET
INVOLVED WITH. WE CAN ARGUE RIGHT AND WRONG BUT YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH REALITY.
ITS TUFF OUT THERE AND ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE JUST GETTING OUT OF PRISON. EVEN
SUCCESS CAN CAUSE TROUBLE.

I COULD NAME A WHOLE LIST OF HARP PLAYERS THAT NEED TO QUIT WHAT THEY ARE
DOING AND KNOW IT THEMSELVES BUT ARE JUST TOO FAR GONE. NOBODY REALLY TRIES TO
HELP THEM - ie just part of the lifestyle - RIGHT. WHY DO YOU THINK LITTLE
WALTER IS DEAD AND SNOOKY PRYOR IS ALIVE TODAY.

MAYBE WE NEED A HARP SELF HELP COLUMN IN ALL OF THE HARP NEWS
ITEMS/NEWSLETTERS/ETC. LIKE "SOBER 7 YEARS AND JUST PUT OUT HIS BEST ALBUM
EVER". I'M NOT ANY GOODY TWO SHOES, LETS GET HIGH ON HARPIN' AND HELP OUR
MUSICAL BRETHREN - ONE DAY AT A TIME.

PEACE - from CHOO CHOO CHARLIE.

Subject: Re: Paul deLay To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994
18:12:22 -0400 (EDT) From: "Thomas Lilleston" <randyl@xxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To:
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Content-Type: text

I've been reading the thread on Paul DeLay with some interest. "Entrapment"
does not occur when an undercover agent offers to sell you drugs, even at a
dirt-cheap price. "Entrapment" occurs when you are forced, for whatever
reason, to make the buy.
 Paul bought TWO POUNDS of coke?!? He's lucky to be getting out of prison
before he's an old man. Two pounds is a huge amount of coke - any law
enforcement officer immediately will assume you're a dealer if you're getting
a hold of that sort of volume of drugs.
 DeLay is a great harp player and the "media arrest" thing smells bad (and
believe me, I know what I'm talking about here). But his plight does not warm
the cockles of my heart. If he had bought that much stuff for personal use,
he's incredibly lucky to be alive; if he bought it to sell it, he ought to
thank God every day that he didn't get caught doing that. Coke dealers do hard
time.