Tongue Blocking, Saliva Problems

Rhonda not Louis,

I have saliva problems too. Especially tongue blocking. Sometimes I feel I
will gag if I don't stop to swallow, which is hardly possible doing a fast
solo piece without breaking tempo or leaving out something. Which is the
way I solve it playing blues-like a bluesinger leaves out an obscene word
or implied rhyme. I keep the phrase going in my head and pick it up at the
right place. Obviously this isn't possible with a fiddle tune. And then
sometimes I have to stop between phrases to slap the harp on my knee, to
clear it. At other times I don't have enough saliva, and have to put a
little oil on the covers to keep my lips from sticking to them. This
happens when I play a couple of original things, using original techniques
I developed before I learned that *you should never take in air over the
covers* (which drys the lips), as someone advised-which ain't no help at
all, unless I just stop playing those pieces. Anyway, I have pursued
answers to these problems for a long time, but have never found adequate
answers. As for your immediate problem, I just keep a handkerchief handy
and hide my mouth with my hands as I play. But then I have big hands. I
have had a little success with (sorry if all this sounds gross, but then
many instruments cause similar problems, like the trumpet, etc.) sucking
the saliva down my throat on the draw notes, not a swallow exactly, but
(hard to explain) kind of a quick gasp that takes the saliva down. I am
continuing to work on this, hoping it will be the answer. Pros must have
some way to handle the excess or the lack of, I just can't seem to get
anyone to respond with a really good answer. Maybe someone reading this can
help us both.

Ted Allbritton
Ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx